Five Reasons Why Blogging Is Important for Your eCommerce Business
Among the numerous search engine optimization (SEO tools in your arsenal, blogging is one of the easiest and most powerful ways to boost your eCommerce site. Blogging has become such a commonly used and productive online practice that an entire industry is now built around it.
If you’re still on the fence about this powerful marketing tool, consider these recent stats:
- 61 percent of U.S. online consumers make purchases based on recommendations from a blog
- 60 percent of consumers feel more connected to a company after reading unique content on its site
- 47 percent of buyers viewed three to five pieces of content before engaging with the company
- 51 percent of blog readers shop online
Whether you write the content yourself or you’ve hired a ghostwriter, blogging is essential to your site’s online visibility and your company’s growth. Here are key reasons why blogging is vital to your eCommerce business.
1. Blogging Boosts Your Google Ranking
Actually, what boosts your Google ranking is regularly feeding your site with SEO-rich content. Once the main pages are written and you’ve completed your FAQ page, it makes sense to engage your audience by regularly providing useful industry insights through a curated blog.
Like everything written for the web, make sure that your blog is optimized for search engines. It needs to contain the following elements to meet Google’s standards:
- Relevant keywords placed in areas such as the meta description, meta tag and headings as well as organically within the content
- Short paragraphs of two to four sentences in length, combined with bullet points and numbered lists
- Backlinks embedded within relevant strong anchor text
Plus, the content, traffic and leads that are getting generated from the blog can result in a windfall of usable user data. Leverage those metrics into your eCommerce marketing strategy to see some incredible results.
2. Blogging Sets You Up as an Expert in Your Industry
Bloggers provide insightful information and create a-ha moments for their readers, customers, partners, peers and anyone else associated with their industry. So, if you’re going to blog, make sure you have something to write about that is valuable, fresh and worded in a unique way. While content is the most important feature of your blog, you have an opportunity to refine your authoritative style and voice in your posts.
3. You’ll Never Run Out of Things to Blog About
As an expert in your industry, you’ll never have to worry about coming up with new ideas for your blog. There is always news to share, teachable moments to illuminate and opportunities to highlight the products you sell or the services you provide.
For instance, Etsy, an online store that features handmade and vintage goods, maintains a blog that features their diverse products catalog and also effectively communicates their brand identity. The Etsy blog is filled with artist profiles and new product lines mixed in with articles about design and the DIY community.
- The content is readable and highly engaging
- The articles are useful, even for people who don’t participate in DIY activities
- The content contains both internal and external links
- The SEO components are incorporated well throughout the blog
4. You Can Invite Guest Bloggers
Your business connections give you credibility and direct access to industry insights. So why not use them? Inviting guest bloggers is a great way to get unique perspectives on the current issues being discussed in your business, as well as an opportunity to gain from someone else’s area of expertise.
If you are going to invite a guest blogger to contribute to your webpage, try to find someone who is a mover and shaker in your industry. In the eCommerce world, influencers are people who have created significant shifts in the industry or launched a trend. An influencer may also be someone who reached an unprecedented level of success, thus raising the bar for everyone.
These days, people are inundated with advertising, especially with the recent developments in technology. It should come as no surprise that 92 percent of consumers place their trust in recommendations from friends, family and word-of-mouth over traditional marketing.
Try to establish a relationship with an influencer to move the needle for your marketing efforts. They could have a big impact on the success of your blog by mentioning or endorsing your brand through social media.
5. Blogging Engages Your Customers
Here are a few compelling reasons why maintaining an active blog is beneficial for eCommerce businesses:
- A blog can engage your audience and promote brand loyalty
- When readers read about new products via your blog, they are likely to click to learn more
- Readers are likely to browse other pages on your site, especially if you provide backlinks
- Well maintained blogs make readers feel like they’re a part of a community
- Blogging allows companies to tell stories that could convert visitors into customers
- If a blog post goes viral, it could radically increase your site visits and brand awareness with countless readers
Your ability to attract and engage customers is one of your most valuable eCommerce business assets. A well-curated blog will bring your audience along for the ride as you provide a steady stream of engaging content.
No matter what type of eCommerce business you operate, blogging should be a core element of your marketing strategy. If you maintain a blog that is inspiring, thoughtful, insightful and engaging, it can go a long way in boosting your online presence and growing your business.